Friday, May 1, 2009

My Boy makes Me Proud and Happy

Today I got a call from my ex-wife. My children's kitten had been hit and killed by a car. My boys were absolutely inconsolable. There is not much worse for a parent than to have to stand by while their child hurts. It broke my heart to hear the sobs of my boys and to be too far away to even hold them while they grieved.

My ex-wife asked if I could come over tomorrow and dig the hole to bury their pet. Of course I would. Anything that I could do help ease their grief I would do.

Here’s the kicker, about two hours later my oldest son calls me, still crying, and says that I don’t have to come over to help bury his kitten. He’s already done it.

I was floored. My son just turned eleven this week. This is a level of responsibility and caring I never expected to see quite so early. Right there, in that moment, I saw an inkling of the strong man I have been trying to raise.

I have an amazing boy, who I am amazingly proud of.

On a side note: Brennan was given the option to stay home since his cat died, and he turned it down because he had tests he did not want to get behind on.

This wonderful child is making me happy today.

1 comment:

  1. Again, so proud. Thanks Brian for being such an aware and understanding Dad!

    ReplyDelete